The Lensing staff is actively involved in our community, not only as individual volunteers but as business members. In addition to actively observing many important milestones in our community, we are also committed to helping others better understand death and loss, and to view death as part of life's natural cycle.
Every year, Lensing's organize several events at our funeral homes, in addition to participating in other events throughout the area, especially in conjunction with Iowa City Hospice and the Crisis Center of Johnson County.
Helping people cope with their grief following the death of a loved one is being addressed in several programs sponsored by Lensing Funeral and Cremation Service.
Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow (YTT) is a bereavement self help support group for any adult who has experienced a death. The group meets from 5:15 to 6:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of the month at the Kirkwood Room at Governor’s Ridge, 515 Kirkwood Avenue, Iowa City. YTT is sponsored by Lensing Funeral & Cremation Service. For more information, contact Lensing Funeral Service at (319) 338-8171.
Living through Loss is sponsored by Lensing Funeral and Cremation Service. It is an educational program for bereaved individuals tackling both the practical and social aspects of grief. The program is held on the first Wednesday of the month from 5:15 to 6:30 at the Kirkwood Room, 515 Kirkwood Avenue, Iowa City.
Iowa City Hospice Grief Support Services
Other Lensing-Sponsored Events Include:
- Mending Hearts - a gathering near Valentine's Day for those who have experienced the loss of a spouse or significant other.
- Celebrate Life - an outdoor concert held some years at our Kirkwood Avenue facility.
- Holiday Memorial Service - a quiet time to gather with others who have lost someone in the past year.
- Pet Remembrance and Memorial
- Coping with Loss - a community-education series for people who have experienced the death of a family member or friend.
- Coping with the Holidays - a presentation to assist people in coping with the holiday season following their loss.
- Suicide Survivors Support Group - a support group for those who have lost someone to suicide will meet Thursdays from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Crisis Center, 1121 Gilbert Court in Iowa City. Meetings offer participants a safe place to talk about memories, ongoing grief and the stigma surrounding death by suicide. New members are welcome and encouraged to attend. Support group meetings are held on the first Thursday of each month and there is no cost to attend. For more information, visit the Survivors Support Group page, Survivors of Suicide Resources page, or contact Keri Neblett at 351-0140 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not able to participate in this month's meeting but would like help or information, please call the 24-Hour Crisis Line at 319-351-0140.
- Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow (YTT) - a bereavement self help support group for any adult who has experienced a death. The group for any adult who has experienced a death. The group meets from 5:15 to 6:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of the month at the Kirkwood Room at Governor's Ridge, 515 Kirkwood Avenue, Iowa City. YTT is sponsored by Lensing Funeral & Cremation Service. For more information, contact Lensing Funeral Service at (319) 338-8171.
In addition, members of the Lensing staff are available to speak to your organization about death and grief issues, funeral services, preplanning of funerals, and dealing with children and death. We have provided programs for schools, churches, civic and healthcare groups.
Local Support Groups
Iowa City Hospice
The Crisis Center of Johnson County